Frequently Asked Questions
Thank you for your interest in the EKU Marching Colonels. Students often have many questions regarding participation in band at the collegiate level. We hope this page will answer most of the questions you may have about our program. Should you need additional information, please do not hesitate to contact Dr. Wiggins.
♦ Why join the Marching Colonels? ♦ Will I have time for marching band? ♦ What does the performance schedule look like? ♦ Do I have to be a music major? ♦ Do I have to audition? ♦ How much does it cost? ♦ What does the band provide? ♦ How do I join? ♦ When do we move in for band camp? ♦
The truth is, college marching band is an exciting experience very different from high school, and your first semester will prove it! The Marching Colonels offers EKU students a social experience unlike any other on campus, and finding life long friends is just the beginning. Unlike the high school experience, the Marching Colonels perform several shows each season, we do it in half the rehearsal time, and you get paid!
And what about college life? The Marching Colonels are at the center of football game day activities and enjoy loyal support from Colonel fans at every home game. If you aren't sure, try it your first semester here and find out what you are missing.
Need more reasons?
Student's top 10 reasons to join the Marching Colonels . . .
10. Eat mor chikin (if you love Chick-fil-a, you'll love us!)
9. Half the rehearsals, Twice the FUN!
8. Beat the rush, EARLY DORM MOVE-IN (for FREE)!!
7. Singing "Hey Baby!"
6. Watch football, and get paid!!
5. Great music, Great shows! (James Bond, Justin Timberlake, Homecoming, I Love the 80s, and so many more...)
4. Crazy Colonel Spirit!
3. No fundraising, EVER!
2. 100+ new friends, INSTANTLY!
And the #1 reason to join the Marching Colonels . . .
1. One word: Byawww! (you'll have to join to understand)
The short answer is YES! The Marching Colonels rehearse much less than most high schools. Other than our warm-up and run-through on football game days, there are no additional rehearsals. You will have more than enough time for other activities and academics. AND, Marching Colonel members traditionally rank very high in every academic discipline.
We perform at all home games, a few other on campus events, and travel as requested by the University. Our basic 2017 performance schedules is as follows:
9|23|17 - Tennessee Tech University
10|7|17 - Tennessee State University
10|21|17 - Univeristy of Tennessee Martin (Homecoming)
11|11|17 - Austin Peay State University
11|18|17 - Saint Francis University
11|25|17 - NCAA FCS Playoffs Begin (Tentative)
12|7|17 - Marching Colonels Banquet: Keen Johnson (evening)
No! The Marching Colonels is open to any EKU student in good standing, regardless of major. We encourage all enthusiastic student musicians to enroll, regardless of their academic choice.
No! There is no audition for the marching band. If you have particpated in band in high school, you are eligible and encouraged to particpate in the Marching Colonels. There are placement auditions for the drumline that are done on Monday, August 14. Music can be found here.
The cost for a new member is $125. That includes uniform cleaning, shoes, gloves, undershirt, baseball hat, and early dorm move-in. There are no other costs, and at the end of the season you'll receive a stipend that will more than cover that cost.
- Official Marching Colonels t-shirt
- Official Marching Colonels baseball cap
- Uniform (color guard, winds, and percussion)
- Food and drinks at every game
- ALL travel expenses. Students are only responsible for spending money when traveling with the band. That includes post-season travel!
- Enroll in MUS 256, (CRN 10261) (you may need to speak with your advisor during summer orientation). The course meets on Monday, Wednesday and Fridays from 3:45 to 5:45pm during the fall semester.
- Complete the Member Information Form.
- Continue to check the website for updates and make sure to check your EKU email address often.
And you’re in … we’ll see you in the fall!
Marching Colonel students move in to the dorms early for free. Monday, August 14 for leadership, drumline and guard; and Tuesday, August 15 for everyone else!
Have more questions?
Email Dr. Wiggins, Associate Director of Bands.
|2017 EKU Drumline Welcome Letter||53.79 KB|
|EKU Cadence||374.61 KB|
|Drumline Placement Audition Packet||1.1 MB|