Frequently Asked Questions
More questions? Email Dr. Timothy Wiggins, Director of Athletic Bands.
♦ Why join the Marching Colonels? ♦ Will I have time for marching band? ♦ What does the performance schedule look like? ♦ Do I have to be a music major? ♦ Do I have to audition? ♦ How much does it cost? ♦ What does the band provide? ♦ How do I join? ♦ When do we move in for band camp? ♦
College marching band is an exciting experience very different from high school, and your first semester will prove it! The Marching Colonels offers EKU students a social experience unlike any other on campus, and finding life-long friends is just the beginning. Unlike the high school experience, the Marching Colonels perform several shows each season, and typically in half the rehearsal time.
And what about college life? The Marching Colonels are at the center of football game day activities and enjoy loyal support from Colonel fans at every home game. If you aren't sure, try it your first semester and find out.
Need more reasons?
Student's top 10 reasons to join the Marching Colonels . . .
10. Traditions! The Marching Colonels are one of the oldest and time-honored groups on campus!
9. Half the rehearsals, twice the fun
8. Beat the rush. Early dorm move-in
7. Pregame Tailgate Performances
6. Earn $2,000 in Scholarships to watch four years of football
5. Great music, great shows
4. Crazy Colonel spirit
3. No fundraising, ever!
2. 100 new friends before classes start
1. One word: Byawww!
The short answer is YES! The Marching Colonels rehearse much less than most high schools. Other than our warm-up and run-through on football game days, there are no additional rehearsals. The class meets in the late afternoons Monday, Wednesday and Friday. You will have more than enough time for other activities and academics. Marching Colonel members traditionally rank very high in every academic discipline.
We perform at all home games, a few other on campus events and rallies, and travel as requested by the University. Our 2022 performance schedule is as follows:
- August 12- Turner Gate Walk
- August 13 - Big E Welcome Walk
- August 27- Football Scrimmage
- September 17 - Charlston Southern home game
- September 24- HS Exhibition at BSHS
- October 1 - Southern Utah home game
- October 15 - Sam Houston State home game
- October 21 - Homecoming Parade
- October 22 - North Alabama University home game (Homecoming)
- October 29 - Hosting KMEA High School Marching Championships
- November 5 - Central Arkansas home game (Veteran's Appreciation Day)
- November 19 - Kennesaw State home game (Marching Colonel for a Day)
- November 20 - Pass in Review indoor band concert
- November 25-26 - NCAA FCS Playoffs Championships (possible travel)
- November 28 - Marching Colonels Banquet
No! The Marching Colonels is open to any EKU student in good standing, regardless of major. We encourage all enthusiastic student musicians and artists to enroll in MUS 256, regardless of their academic choice.
No! There is no audition for the marching band. If you have participated in band in high school, you are eligible and encouraged to participate in the Marching Colonels. Even if you did not march in high school, we have a place for you! There are placement auditions for the drumline at the beginning of band camp. Drumline Audition Materials will be posted soon. Previous color guard experience is preferred, but not required. Interested feature twirlers and Maroonettes should contact Dr. Wiggins to set up an audition.
There are no costs to being a Marching Colonel, except for your providing smaller instruments and reeds, and perhaps purchasing a pair of shoes. Actually, you get paid to participate!
- Official Marching Colonels gear: sackpack, cap, water bottle
- Uniform for performances (Colorguard, Maroonettes, winds, and percussion)
- Food and drinks at every game
- ALL travel expenses. Students are only responsible for spending money when traveling with the band. That includes post-season travel!
- Enroll in MUS 256. The course meets Monday, Wednesday and Friday (4:40-6:40) during the fall semester.
- Complete the Member Registration Form.
- Continue to check the website for updates and check your EKU email address often.
And you’re in … we’ll see you in the fall!
Marching Colonels students move into the dorms early for free.
- 2022 move-in date for Leadership is Friday, August 5, 2022 (tentative)
- 2022 move-in date for the entire band is Sunday, August 7, 2022 (confirmed)
If you are coming from far away, we can work with you. Check out the Preseason Band Week Schedule-at-a-Glance for more detals.
Have more questions?
Email Dr. Wiggins, Director of Athletic Bands.