Protecting your Health this Fall
We can still have band. We can still embrace our artform. We can still connect with new and old friends. We can still make music, dance, spin and twirl.
The EKU Marching Colonels care immensely about the health and well-being of its members. In the midst of a global pandemic, we have implemented policies and procedures to Help protect the health of our students and staff.
- We will social-distance 6ft at all times. During games, we will adjust drill to a minimum interval (4 steps), and will be socially-distanced in the stands.
- We will focus on exterior locations for rehearsals. Current research indicates that outdoor venues are significantly better locations. Indoor rehearsals will be limited to socially-distanced small groups, in signifiantly larger spaces.
- We will wear masks. EKU masks will be provided for the entire ensemble. Split masks for wind instrumentalists and regular masks for percussion and auxiliaries. Instrument bells will also be covered.
- We will still stay hydrated. Every member is provided with their own water bottle, and we will implement a low-touch refill policy.
- We will keep our areas sanitized and create traffic flow in interior spaces. The university has implemented enhanced sanitization procedures. Utilizing gloves, wipes and cleaning equipment, we will still provide shade, water, and equipment in such a way to minimize shared touch.
- We will adjust rehearsal schedules and procedures to minimize close contacts as defined by the CDC (less than 6 ft for more than 10 minutes).
- We will implement an attendance policy that encourages students who feel ill to stay at home, but complete alternative assignments to help them be able to fully contribute when they return. This policy will include an online day-of-rehearsal health and wellness questionaire that is required of all students.
- We will implement contact tracing and self-quarantine university protocols if a student tests positive for Covid-19, to limit contact to others, and allow those students to continue their learning while they recover from the virus (through alternative course delivery).
- We will wear uniforms appropriate to the weather. (shorts/jerseys/cap or traditional uniform). We are excited to debut new marching uniforms this year.
- We will have band camp, but the schedule will be adjusted to allow for time and space. We will have more time for meals, and safe transitions between events. We will rehearse in smaller pods (such as sections and voice groups) when possible, and establish distance between pods for large group rehearsals.
These protocols are implemented so we can still have band. We all want some semblance of normalcy, and we can achieve that if every one of you does your part by following these policies. Questions? Please contact Director of Athletic Bands, Dr. Timothy Wiggins.